Wednesday 9 December 2009

The Price we pay (A trilogy)

The Journalist

A husband a son
A mortar a gun
A landscape that cannot forgive
A hidden life taker
A cruel widow maker
A death for our right to live

A mother a daughter
Face down in the water
Whose crime was to stand in the way
And from deep in a hole
Some war hungry mole
Decided it’s a small price to pay
A man with a book
And a twisted outlook
Sent the code out to our distant lands
This woke up the sleepers
Indiscriminate death keepers
And then he washed his hands

This cold Tuesday morning
Without conscience or warning
A plume took its hold on the sky
A blast mangled station
Acute devastation
The relatives break down and cry
The Cynic

An old sergeant major
A hero I’ll wager
Decides that it’s time we dug in
He gives the command
Points to some other land
Says now push off and bring me a win
A general with stars
And armoured staff cars
Watches dots on computerised skies
With one flick of the wrist
Ten more men don’t exist
But he's sure they were wonderful guys

Somewhere out east
A tyrannical beast
Uses scripture to strike up the band
They don’t read our writing
Get out there start fighting
And get back my once sacred land

The Warrior

I’ll stand up and fight
I’ve a true sense of right
Your future is safe in my hands
I’m fit and I’m able
And mentally stable
To strike down the foe down where he stands

I’m ready for orders
For fanatic marauders
And keen to restore status quo
I’m loaded with pride
As I wait for my ride
To employ all the skills that I know

A skewed view of the night
Through an infrared sight
Using method all trusted and tried
A cafe a school
No hard and fast rule
All places for snipers to hide

I park up the armour
Watch Mac the charmer
As he tries to establish rapport
He gleans information
A local train station
Could house who we’re all looking for

A perimeter laid
A gunshot grenade!
A barrage of fire from the tracks
All frenzy and rush
A god damn ambush
Find cover before th -


With the greatest of respect Lee
Remember those who gave and those yet to give

No comments:

Post a Comment